Thursday, May 13, 2010

Free Children's Sticker Inside






I think I bought my first box of Botan Rice Candy in 1998. I must have bought it at Cost Plus World Market since it's the only store I've seen them at outside of an asian market. Being somewhat of a Japanophile, I was attracted to the neato box and the promise of a "children's sticker inside". I don't remember what my first sticker was, but I suspect it was one of, as I now refer to as, part of the "Animals & Children Operating Heavy Machinery & Sports Vehicles" series. Now here was something I wanted to collect! The candy was good too. Not too sweet and the edible rice paper was a novelty.




My friend Robert got hooked too. I was out of high school and life was still exciting and new-simple pleasures sustained me. I didn't make much money but I was always able to scrounge up some change for a box of BRC and a tall drip at Starbuck's. There was nothing better than enjoying my coffee and opening up a box of BRC and seeing what neato, preposterous, or disturbing sticker would be my reward. Hopefully it wouldn't be a repeat, which unfortunately was very common. Even though I drank my coffee black and unsweetened, I found that dropping one or two BRC's in a hot cup of coffee tasted pretty good. Enough sentimentality for now, onto the collection...

4 comments:

  1. Keep going with the sentimentality... I LOVE it! I too loved the idea that you could eat the wrapper. Didn't believe you at first.... gonna have to try it in my coffee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, did you mean to make the date 2011? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I envision a BRC cookbook one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the date that way to keep it at the top.

    ReplyDelete